Tutor Eligibility Requirements
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Demonstrate the ability to speak, write and understand English well enough to communicate clearly. Most volunteers with at least high school diploma or GED are eligible to be tutors.
- Agree to tutor an adult learner twice per week, 60-90 minutes per lesson, at times agreed upon with the adult student. Some tutors and students may agree to meet once per week with longer sessions.
- Agree to appropriately plan for each tutoring session in keeping with the learner’s objectives. Most tutors allocate 30- 60 minutes per week to prepare for tutoring sessions.
- Agree to tutor a student at least 12 months. A volunteer that drops out can be a tremendous disappointment to the new reader or leaner of English. You should be prepared to tutor your student for at least one year.
- Able to meet with his/her student at an approved tutoring site. Literacy Action will help you find an appropriate public tutoring site.
- Agree to supply his/her transportation to the tutoring site.
- Successfully complete the 10-15 hour Tutor training course. Tutor training is offered several times throughout the year on Saturdays. Check the Literacy Action home page for the next tutor training workshop.
- Agree to accurately complete student progress reports in a timely manner.